Thursday, August 27, 2009

A Solution I Can Live With

In the last 24 hours or so, numerous individuals have commented on my DWR delemma. Not only did I blog about it here, I posted the question to a couple of my e-mail groups and the QIAD forum.

First, I thank you for the compliments and comments on the quilt top. I still have a ways to go, but I'm confident this UFO will grow up to become a loved quilt.

Overwhelmingly the majority said to leave it alone. The few who said 'fix it' did so with the qualification that I had to do what I thought best and could live with. Someone recommended watching Sharon Schamber's Beginning Quilter: Magical Basting which I did. Very interesting and when I get to the top done, I will review this video again.

Since I am torn between seeing my progress as a quilter and knowing I tend to lean toward the perfectionist side. I still needed to do something.

I flipped the quilt top over.

Look at that seam. The muslin caught maybe an eighth of an inch. Since I plan to USE this quilt and wash it, I sure don't want the seams to pull out. I've tried to get away with tiny seams before and I had to still need to repair them after the quilt was washed a couple of times.

As it turns out some of the worst places have these weird seams. My solution is to fix the seams so they have a better chance of not ripping out. I've fixed two and there are a couple of more, including the one pictured above.

I think this is a solution I can live with.

1 comment:

  1. glad to see you discovered the problem and hope that the seam repairs fix the problem