Friday, April 3, 2009

QCC - Quality Control Cat



Cats and quilting go together at my house. I've owned, or been owned by three cats since I started quilting. Fluffy and Grey were the original QCCs. Seven wasn't interested in quilting -- or for that matter living with two other cats. But after Fluffy and Grey crossed the rainbow bridge, Seven realized she had to fulfill the role of QCC.

I don't know what it is about cats and quilts. One time I brought several quilt tops into the living room to show my mom. Seven was sound asleep in the bedroom. I'm not certain all the air got out from under the quilt top when I shook it out and laid it out on the floor, before she was there laying on top of it.

Another time I had a top on the floor, blocking access to the kitchen and sewing room. Seven walks in and comes to a screeching halt, stopping BEFORE she touched the quilt top. I have to assume she didn't like it. My DH picked her up and told her she had hurt my feelings, so when she came back through the room, she gingerly stepped on the top and briefly sat on it before walking off. Somehow.

Tonight when I came home, Seven was sitting on the couch with DH. I pull out my Old Tobacco Road quilt and lay it on the floor. Seven doesn't move.

I pull out the inner green border I just bought, and lay it next to the quilt. Seven remains on the couch.

The flying geese are stretched out next to the green border. No response from Seven.

Finally, I lay the purple outer border next to it all.

Seven leaps off the couch and jumps on the quilt and fabric and starts 'massaging' the purple fabric, before reclining on the quilt.

I have to assume she likes it.

So here is some Haiku DH and I wrote about a year ago for Quality Control Cats

Mom is a quilter
Her quilt needs my approval
I must lay on it


And for Seven specifically:

Seven is QC
Approving quilts is her task
Hair removal mine

3 comments:

  1. Naturally, I can relate to this post in a big way. Cats are well aware of how good they look on quilts and know how to flaunt it. Love the quilt in addition to the cat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Haines used to have an Inspector 12. I guess you have an Inspector Seven. Good thing you finally got the approval to move forward on it. Sounds like you were sweating it for a while there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seven has certainly fine taste, that purple will be beautiful with OTR.

    ReplyDelete