Thursday, December 17, 2009

Half a Back


This week I'm off from work. I thought I would have a whole week to do nothing but quilt, but it's not turning out like that. Monday morning I went with my mom to what was supposed to be a simple hour or hour and a half appointment. It turned out to not be so simple and Monday became an all day affair and it rolled into Tuesday and Wednesday. It's not over yet, but I am grateful I have the time off from work to help her.

So, today is the first that I've gotten any quilting done. That's not to say I didn't sit at my sewing machine and pretend to piece earlier in the week. I say pretend because I couldn't concentrate and everything I did sew I ended up ripping out. Just how hard is it to thread a sewing machine? Or sew a 1/4" seam?

Anyway, I've finally got the first six rows of the back to the Music quilt pieced together. After explaining how I pin my rows so I don't get them out of order, I got the last two pieces of the last row switched and had to rip them out. In my defense, earlier this week I picked them up off the floor without pinning them, thinking I'd lay them back out before sewing. Instead I put them on my ironing board in order - or so I thought. Since they weren't next to the previous row, I didn't see my mistake. In fact, I didn't see the mistake until I was pressing the row. But hey -- if that's the only problem I've to this point, I'm happy.

My nephew's Christmas program is this evening, so as soon as my husband gets home we are going out to my mom's and brother's. The guys are going to hook up a DVD writer and install some software so they can transfer home videos to DVDs. I'll work with Mom on the paper work she needs to fill out and then we'll have dinner before the program.

Tomorrow I'm quilting!

1 comment: